As documented in the January 31, 1908 issue of Golfing, Thomas Nicolson ran a blacksmith forge in Pittenweem, where he began making cleeks and irons in 1886. In 1890, he was awarded a gold medal at the Edinburgh International Exhibition for a display of assorted iron heads which had received fine reviews from all the club makers and professionals who had seen it.
After receiving his award, Nicolson was quick to advertise that fact and began marking his iron heads "Gold Medal 1890." This Nicolson cleek offered here bears the Nicolson name and his Gold Medal 1890 stamp. What this also does is demonstrate what a well-made cleek looked like in the early 1890s.
The original shaft is 39 1/2 inches long and is stamped with what is possibly the name of an owner. The underlisting is all that is left of the original grip, but the original underlisting is a good thing. It shows an element of club construction that is not often visible. This is a stylish head with a 4" hosel.